Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

scamposanto
Returning Member

Hello! I worked as a W2 music teacher, a contract music teacher and a musician. I use my new guitar for all three. Where is the best place to write off my entire guitar?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hello! I worked as a W2 music teacher, a contract music teacher and a musician. I use my new guitar for all three. Where is the best place to write off my entire guitar?

No where.

You must allocate your expenses between the 3 jobs, and any expenses allocated to the W-2 jobs can be deducted.

If audited, you need some reasonable way of allocating the expense and proving it.  (The IRS does not have to give any deduction that can't be proved.)  Number of hours worked at each job, perhaps, or percentage of income earned by each job.

scamposanto
Returning Member

I hardly use my guitar at my W2 job as they have guitars at the school to use if need be. Can I just allocate it between my contract teaching job and musician job?

If audited, you have to be able to prove your allocation to the auditor.  There is no deduction allowed for personal expenses, and the deduction for W-2 expenses was eliminated by tax reform.  Whatever you claim now is at your own risk.  Most people aren't audited, but you should keep copies of your records, including your argument for how you allocated expenses, for 6 years.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies