jerryj112000

Hello,I recently married a woman from the Philippines. I supported her and paid for her travel here to the U.S. Can I deduct these expenses? We were married in November.

TomD8

No.  Personal expenses such as that are NOT deductible.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

You will be able to file jointly since you were married in 2019 ... that will help due to the higher standard deduction and lower tax rates.  She will need either a SS# or an  ITIN to file a return.  The ITIN can be applied for with the filing of the return.