Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello,first time to fill an IRS but im still unemployed. My wife just starded working a week ago. I did to fill the form and resulted with below standard deduction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Hello,first time to fill an IRS but im still unemployed. My wife just starded working a week ago. I did to fill the form and resulted with below standard deduction.

People who can be claimed as a dependent, by someone else, do not always get the full standard deduction.  When asked if you could be claimed by someone else, in the personal info section, you  probably answered yes.

If you plan to file as Married Filing Jointly (MFJ), with your spouse, answer that question NO.  When filing MFJ, you are not considered a dependent.  You are a co-filer, even if you have no income, of your own.

You really should file a joint return with the spouse (even if only one person has any income)  and NOT file separately and you certainly CANNOT file as single.  ALSO  a spouse can never be a dependent of the other spouse.   Rethink the filing status in the MY INFO tab.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies