Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Health insurance premium deduction for S-Corp shareholder by family attribution

I work for an S-Corp where I am a 2% shareholder by family attribution only (no actual ownership). Therefore I do not receive a K-1. My health insurance premiums are  included on my W-2, and they are deductible just as for any actual shareholder, but there is nowhere in TT to do this outside of entering K-1 info. I have seen this question was posted once a few years ago, and the only suggestion was to create a "mock K-1" and then entering the premiums there. Trying this method does create the new 7206 and flows through to the correct place on 1040. However, it also creates a Schedule E (p. 2), listing the S-Corp entity and $0 income. The software will not allow me to delete the Schedule E. Has anyone tried this method in the past and had any issues with the IRS questioning it?  The concern is I would be submitting a Schedule E for an S-Corp I don't have actual ownership in and do not have a K-1.  Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The accepted method to report health insurance premiums for an S-Corp shareholder by attribution is to use a "mock" Schedule K-1 with zero income. If the IRS has questions, you should have proof of the attributed ownership.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The accepted method to report health insurance premiums for an S-Corp shareholder by attribution is to use a "mock" Schedule K-1 with zero income. If the IRS has questions, you should have proof of the attributed ownership.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies