turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aalanykr

HDHP Coverage by my employer the entire year, and signed up for Medicare Part A only

I signed up for Medicare Part A, which started the month I turned 65 (June 2023).  However, I am still employed and have full insurance coverage from my employer, which I am still contributing to.  I'm not sure if I should select 'Self Only' for the full 12 months in 2023, OR only up until May of 2023, and then select Medicare or None from June until December, even though I only have Medicare Part A.  Can someone please advise?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

HDHP Coverage by my employer the entire year, and signed up for Medicare Part A only

Medicare disqualifies you from making contributions to an HSA, even if you still have HDHP coverage.  You should select "self only" (if you had a self-only HDHP) for January-May, and select "Medicare" for the rest of the year. 

Your HSA limit for 2023 will be $2020 ($4850÷12 months x 5 months).  If you contributed more than $2020, you will have to remove that excess contribution before April 15, or pay a 6% penalty. 

aalanykr

Hello, thank you for your response.  I contributed no where near $2020 in 2023 to my HSA, so I should be fine.  So, you are saying that even though I am still fully covered by my employer and stopped contributing to the HSA in June when I turned 65, that I should only select 'self only' for Jan thru May and Medicare for June thru December, even though it's only Medicare Part A and I don't even use it?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yes even if you don't use Medicare Part A or B you are no longer eligible to contribute to an HSA. This is because you cannot have any other insurance besides an HDHP.

Opus17's directions regarding the months selected for self-only is correct. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
aalanykr

Hi, got it.......thank you all so much for your feedback.  I appreciate it.

@aalanykr wrote:

Hello, thank you for your response.  I contributed no where near $2020 in 2023 to my HSA, so I should be fine.  So, you are saying that even though I am still fully covered by my employer and stopped contributing to the HSA in June when I turned 65, that I should only select 'self only' for Jan thru May and Medicare for June thru December, even though it's only Medicare Part A and I don't even use it?

Correct.  You are not eligible to contribute to an HSA if you have "other coverage", even if you don't use that other coverage.  And you are still allowed to spend money from your HSA for qualified medical expenses (now or in the future) even if you are no longer eligible to make contributions.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies