Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bairdy69

Have a home office. Guided questions for "Job Related Expenses" have me enter property taxes. This causes amount showing in "Home" deductions to double. Is this accurate?

I have a home office. By entering property tax total in both "Home Deduction" as well as "Job Related Expenses, it causes the total in "Home Deduction" to show double the actual amount I paid. Should I be entering property tax total in "Home Deduction" area as well as "Job Related Expenses" area? Or just one area?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Have a home office. Guided questions for "Job Related Expenses" have me enter property taxes. This causes amount showing in "Home" deductions to double. Is this accurate?

Since a portion of your property tax is used with your home office expense, you would only need to enter the amount one time.  Entering it in both areas will double the amount. 

There should be some guidance on the screen letting you know whether the entry should be duplicated in another area of your return.  Also, when you go to the property tax section of Deductions and Credits there should be a notation on the screen showing that you had already entered an amount in a different part of the tax return indicating that the program has already accounted for the entry made for the home office.

Click on the pictures below for a visual reference.

[edited 3/14/17  11:56 am PST]

bairdy69

I looked for guidance but didn't see anything. I also don't see anything on the deductions and credits area calling my attention to this and that there is a problem.  Based upon what you are saying, I need to only enter in one area. So, the question boils down to whether I should be entering this in the Home Deductions area or the Job Expenses area?
tgolding

I am having the exact same problem.  It is doubling my property tax on the Home Deductions area and doesn't allow me to edit it.  This didn't happen in the 2015 version.  How do we fix this?
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Enter the property tax on in the Job Expenses area of your return.  There is a statement on that page indicating that you should not duplicate the entry in the Home Deductions section.
tgolding

Where is that statement or box I need to check? I see my entry in the Job expenses area for my property tax but I see no statement or box.  Can you send me a picture of this box or statement so I can find it?
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

There is not a box to check.  I am adding screenshots from the Premier desktop version.
tgolding

I have TT home and business not Premier.  I do not see that screen you're showing me.  I entered all my home expenses and it says Here are the Total expenses you've entered for K's entire home and home office.  It has the correct real estate tax amount listed there.  When I exit that screen and go look at the real estate taxes paid it is doubled.  I haven't entered it in another place.  How do I fix the doubling.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies