Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Handling of 1095-A form and Individual Coverage HRA

I received a 1095-A form from Marketplace for my 2022 health insurance.  I also received from my employer (I am a retiree) a HRA during the 2022 calendar year as reimbursements for my premiums.   Based on the fact that I had an HRA for 2022 and information I found on the IRS 8962 publication, I do not qualify for the Premium Tax Credit (PTC) - however TurboTax is generating an 8962 form and applying a PTC to my return when answering yes to the question if I received a 1095-A and entering the information.  In addition, I did not take nor received and APTC payments through the year as I knew I had the HRA.  The values in column "C" are zero on my 1095-A form. 

How do I get TurboTax to account for the HRA and determine that I am not eligible for the PTC even thou I received and entered a 1095-A?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should not enter the form 1095-A information in TurboTax. You are not required to complete Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit unless you received advance premium tax credits or you qualify for a premium tax credit, which you do not.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should not enter the form 1095-A information in TurboTax. You are not required to complete Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit unless you received advance premium tax credits or you qualify for a premium tax credit, which you do not.

mghoward

Since I also have this same situation of having an HRA but received a 1095-A with the original cost of premiums at full price in column A for the 2022 calendar year, how do you get TurboTax to not require filling out the 1095-A?  Or do I change the numbers in column A of this form to something like $0.00 or $1.00?

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

If you have received reimbursement of your health premiums through a HRA AND you have not received any advance payments of the premium tax credit for coverage for you or your family member (shown in column C of form 1095-A), then you are not required to enter your form 1095-A on your tax return. 

In TurboTax, answer that you did not receive form 1095-A.

You are not entitled to the premium tax credit and entering form 1095-A would wrongly calculate a premium tax credit for you.

When you get to the part where TurboTax asks you if you received a 1095-A, it should ask you if you used an HRA.  If you reply yes, it should skip filling out form 8962.

Not everyone knows that the tax law prohibits you from using an HRA and taking the PTC.  If you aren't aware of this, TurboTax will fill out the 8962 form and you will take a credit you are not eligible for.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies