Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

H1B visa: Received royalties from an academic book published by the UK-based publisher

Hello,

I am an Indian citizen and have been working as a Research Scientist on an H1B (lottery exempt) visa at a US university since November 2023. Before this, I was on a J-1 visa (Research Scholar) at a national lab in the US starting in 2018. During my time on the J-1 visa, I authored five books in my research area. Four of these books were published by a UK-based publisher in December 2023 (although the work was completed before my H1B visa term began), and the fifth book was published by a US-based publisher in March 2024.

Recently, I received royalties via wire transfer for the four books published by the UK-based publisher. The publisher informed me that "We are required by the UK Tax Authority to deduct 20% Income Tax at source unless a double tax clearance has been approved." As a result, the royalties I received had already been taxed at 20% in the UK. I would like to know if I need to pay taxes in the US on these royalties. If so, how should I report this income to the IRS? If not, do I still need to inform IRS about these royalties?

I have not yet received royalties from the US-based publisher for my fifth book. However, when I do, what kind of tax form can I expect from the US-based publisher? Additionally, is receiving such income legal considering my current H1B visa status?

Regards,
RD

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

H1B visa: Received royalties from an academic book published by the UK-based publisher

@roalddahl14 ,  as I mentioned in your other thread ,  because you are a  Resident for Tax purposes  ( having passed substantial Presence Test  [ SPT ] ,  based on the information you have provided), you file your return on form 1040 and are taxed on WORLD INCOME.   Thus :

(a)  while the work was accomplished  before your becoming a Resident ,the payment received  anytime after passing the SPT .  So amounts received as Royalty  in 2024 is recognized  on your return for the tax year 2024, using Schedule-E  ( page -2 ). 

(b) Under the US-UK tax treaty, yes you  could assert treaty article   to reduce the double taxation bite.   

If you need help on any of this ,  please consider  writing back with exact situation/ questions.     

You can also find  the US-UK Tax Treaty text at :         U.S.-U.K. income tax treaty, signed July 24, 2001, London (treasury.gov)

Namaste ji

pk

Thank you! This is very useful!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies