turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

peterd3

Getting Error 1040/1040SR Wks: Cash Charitable is too large with itemized deductions.

We are attempting to put in our charitable contributions which are about 10% of our income not the standard deduction.  Turbo Tax has already detected that itemized is best and I have verified this setting is in use.  We have entered our charitable contributions first by overall total then by individual contribution with date.  Still we are greeted with the above error which will not let us continue.  I was not able to find a solution where the standard deduction was not being used and the error was present so posting a new question.  This is the only item preventing us from filing our federal taxes.  We had completed this similar process last year with no issues however last year we were using the purchased software vs online if that makes a difference.  Any help is much appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Getting Error 1040/1040SR Wks: Cash Charitable is too large with itemized deductions.

I suspect that you may have an entry posted at the second area of entry.  If so, you may have to temporarily reduce one or more itemized deduction entries to invoke the screen Based on what you just told us, the Standard Deduction is best for you.

In TurboTax Online, Federal 1040 line 12b Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act can be entered or removed at either:  

• Federal Taxes / Deductions & Credits / Your tax breaks / Donations to Charity in 2021 or
  • at the screen Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act immediately following Based on what you just told us, the Standard Deduction is best for you. 

You may have an entry posted at the second area of entry. 

• At the screen titled Charitable Cash Contributions under the CARES Act, make sure that the box contains $0. 
  • Under Deductions & Credits, re-instate the deductions that had been temporarily changed.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Wrap up tax breaks.
  • At Other Tax Situations, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Let’s keep going.
  • Continue through Review

Go to Tax Tools / Tools / View Tax Summary / Preview my 1040 to view line 12b for the charitable deduction.

Then go back to restore your itemized deductions and qualify for Schedule A.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies