Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FSA- Dependent Care and Nanny Taxes

Hello, 

This year I took out the max 5k pre-tax for childcare on my FSA. I am spending way more than that plus Nanny taxes for part of the year. Will I be able to get anymore childcare tax back for 2 children? Or does the pre-tax replace the credit?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
evelynm
Employee Tax Expert

This example is a great explanation:  There is a maximum expense that can be attributed to one child, or to two or more children. It's $3,000 for one child and $6,000 for two or more children. If you contribute $3,000 or more to your FSA and you have the one child, then there are no dollars left to use for calculating the credit. If you have two or more children and spend $6,000 on them and also have $5,000 contributed to your FSA, then the first $5,000 is the limit for the FSA, which leaves $1,000 that can be applied to the credit.

The total credit is $6,000 max, with or without an FSA. 

See this link for further details:  Child and dependent care expenses 

Have an amazing day. Evelyn M (CPA 20+ years)
I would love a thumbs up 🙂 + Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DashonnonH
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, a FSA is a pretax funds that are taken into consideration when calculating the Child and dependent tax credit. 

The total expenses that you may use to calculate the credit may not be more than $3,000 (for one qualifying individual) or $6,000 (for two or more qualifying individuals). Expenses paid for the care of a qualifying individual are eligible expenses if the primary reason for paying the expense is to assure the individual's well-being and protection. If you received dependent care benefits that you exclude or deduct from your income, you must subtract the amount of those benefits from the dollar limit that applies to you.

You can review more on this topic with the link below

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc602

Thank you for joining us today!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies