Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mawlers
Returning Member

FSA account not onsite daycare

I am confused. Turbotax program is saying FSA was Onsite daycare provided by employer but was not.

Here are the circumstances:

My wife had an FSA Account and had the amount withheld from her paycheck. This amount is recorded in Box 10 of her W-2 and from what I understand, that is correct. The childcare was NOT provided by her work and the amount that was withheld was taken from her paycheck and had no contributions from her employer. She paid the FSA to 2 other providers.

I enter the W-2 exactly how it appears into Turbotax. When I do the deductions for child and dependent care credits, it says:

"you have $XXX of employer provided care benefits. In order to receive this credit, your expenses must be more than this amount." Our expenses came to all but about $100 that was withheld (expenses were equal but forgot to submit for the $100) but it was NOT employer provided day care. I should be putting a number in this box for dependent care but it is saying the employer provided and if I do so, I think it will double up. I think since we withheld the money and paid out the same in expense, I do not think we are eligible for the credit as it was pretaxed dollars.

The next page asks me for provider information and says "you employer, XXXX, provided daycare for you at work or hired an in staff daycare provider. No other information needs to be entered for this care provider. "

In the past I have added the daycare providers, but if I do it now, it is duplicating. On top of that the information about the onsite daycare from her employer is just wrong.

I just want to make sure I do this correctly. If it has no impact on my taxes, then I can ignore it, but the whole onsite daycare bothers me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
mawlers
Returning Member

Just one follow up.  When doing the credit, if I hit the button for the credit, it says not to put the number from the on site daycare as it is already accounted for, but to add any funds spent through an FSA.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"$XXX of employer provided care benefits" is not equal to "employer provided day care" I believe that "$XXX of employer provided care benefits" is referring to the box 10 amount, which is coming through the employer from you. IRS terminology is perplexing, to say the least.

Without your exact numbers, I think you are correct not to add the daycare amounts.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies