Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Freelancer received reimbursement for project purchases. Where do I input this information in TurboTax Deluxe?

I did freelance work on the side and purchased several pieces of equipment to finish the project for a client.  The client reimbursed me the exact amounts for those several pieces of equipment (I have reimbursement invoices and bank statements showing their deposits plus credit card statements/receipts for the purchases).  Obviously I do not want to consider this taxable income since it was an exact dollar-for-dollar reimbursement for the equipment needed to finish the clients project.

Where do I input this information in TurboTax Deluxe???

Please help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Freelancer received reimbursement for project purchases. Where do I input this information in TurboTax Deluxe?

The "reimbursement" goes into gross receipts.  The expenses are supplies - the stuff needed to finish the clients project.

Thank you very much for the response!

Question though.  I thought supplies had to be $200 or less items?  The per-item, individual equipment cost was definitely higher than that.

Would these go into a different category possibly?

ee-ea
Level 15

If supplies has a low limit the Section 179 deduction and the Bonus Depreciation deduction are much larger.  The De minimis rule is $2500.  

Thank you so much!

Final followup and to clarify, the Section 179 deduction would allow for 100% deduction of the cost of the item, correct?

So for example, if the piece of equipment cost $1,000 and the client reimbursed me $1,000, I would put $1,000 under gross receipts and list that piece of equipment under the Section 179 deduction with a value/cost of $1,000, thus negating any potential taxes I'd have to pay out, correct?

Thanks again!

ee-ea
Level 15

You are right.

Thank you so much!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies