turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Form 8936 (2019)

It would be helpful if there was a way to be notified as to when filing will be available on Turbo Tax.  Everytime I check the date is later.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@vickib

See if this works - 

Please go back to the screen where TurboTax told you in the federal review that form 8936 was not available to file. Click on "I want to sign up for email notifications".

If you can find this, this should do what you want.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It looks like the final form was posted on the irs website on 1/29/20.  Not sure why it hasn’t appeared within TurboTax yet.

https://www.irs.gov/latestforms

The IRS has apparently not approved the Turbo Tax form.  Latest ETA is 2/12.

TomK100
Expert Alumni

The IRS pushes forms to software providers as they finish them.  Software providers must in turn code and test those forms before release.

Please see the Help article for IRS forms availability here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you read the plethora of information on the tax deduction page where it tells you it can’t be completed yet,   you would see it’s not TurboTax stalling its the IRS pushing the release date.

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

The e-filing excuse makes no sense.  For one I have TurboTax for Desktop which supports paper filing.  The form has been available since 1/29/2020 but TurboTax doesn't even allow me to enter the information in.  Secondly, many other providers already have e-filing available.  TurboTax clearly has not put a priority on having this form ready to go.

At this point I have sunk a lot of time into preparing everything within TurboTax.  But I sure will not pay a premium for this product in the future with such lousy support.

@Bnbueno you linked a TurboTax website, not the IRS.  The form has been available from the IRS since 1/29/2020.

Can anyone confirm that ability to E-file with form 8936?

I was told by Turbo Tax that the Govt needs the original sales paperwork to confirm the tax credit.  No copies or scans are allowed.

Is this true?

That form , Form 8834, Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit, tells you if you qualify.

However, you and anyone else filing or filing for you like TurboTax, need to wait for Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit.  That is released by the IRS  and it has pushed back its relief to the 12 Feb as of today 5 Feb.
The link below gives you the update schedule. 

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

You just need to fill out the form with your VIN, if you get audited I assume you would need supporting documents. 

yoon1que1

Yeah I'm done too, already starting to file with HR Block... 2/5 and now 2/12... ridiculous...

There is no option to sign up for emails on that page.

today is 2/5/2019, when will I get the option to use 8936 ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies