Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8911 not working correctly

i have downloaded the IRS instructions for form 8911 for my new charging station installed in 2021.  i should be receiving a credit and it shows as zero. I have filled out the manual 8911 and i dont understand why it wont show. i cant find the form in Turbo because it is zero and does not show up in my downloaded forms.  I really want to file but dont want to miss out on my credit because of a Turbo Tax Glitch. I can share my form 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

There are a couple of things that can cause the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit to be reduced to zero.

First, the credit is non-refundable and you must have a tax liability in order to take advantage of the credit.  Also, the calculation of possible Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) is involved in the calculation of the credit and may reduce it to zero.  

There is a tentative minimum tax for AMT that is calculated in the background as your return is completed.  Form 8911 compares that tentative minimum tax to the net regular tax after certain other credits have been taken into account.  If the tentative minimum tax is greater than the net regular tax, then the Form 8911 credit is disallowed.  

If you would be like to share a diagnostic copy of your tax file to verify what is happening in your return, follow the instructions below and post the token number along with which version of TurboTax you are using in a follow-up thread.

Use these steps if you are using TurboTax Online:

• Sign in to your account and be sure you are in your tax return.
  • Select Tax Tools in the menu to the left.
  • Select Tools.
  • Select Share my file with agent.
  • A pop-up message will appear, select OK to send the sanitized diagnostic copy to us.
  • Post the token number here. 

If you are using a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, use these steps:

• Select Online at the top of the screen.
  • Select Send Tax File to Agent.
  • Click OK.
  • Post the token number here.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I saw this in my research, but I went and pulled the directions from the IRS and followed.  I also saved the preliminary copy of my taxes as entered so I had the right lines to enter and I looked up my tentative AMT to load into the calculator. it comes up I am owed $400. 

Here is my diagnostic. 930817

it appears that the vehicle credit takes me to the AMT which appears why i am disallowed.  Never mind! 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

After getting a chance to take a look at your tax file, you are correct.  The tentative AMT calculation is causing your credit to be disallowed.

@dfcikins

Hi, I'm having the same problem, that is that after entering a cost in in the Alternative Vehicle Refueling credit section, a $0 credit is applied. Am I also up against the AMT? Where would I find my tentative minimum tax in TurboTax? My diagnostic number is 971835. Thanks.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Taking a look at your file, yes, the tentative minimum tax being greater than your regular tax is the reason that your Alternative Vehicle Refueling Credit is disallowed.

Look at lines 16 and 17 on Form 8911.  Line 16 is for the net regular tax (after other credits) while line 17 is the tentative minimum tax.  If line 17 is greater than line 16, then there is no credit calculated.

@Markpbrill

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies