turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8606 for Backdoor ROTHs

Dear @DanaB and Turbotax Team,

I’m hoping you can confirm that I correctly entered my information into Turbotax for my

-  Backdoor Roth of $6000 (converted in March 2023 for tax year 2022)

- and for the nondeductible IRA that I contributed $6500 to in March of 2024 for tax year 2023 (which I immediately converted into backdoor Roth)

- I started with a zero balance in my traditional IRA and ended with a zero balance in my traditional IRA by converting it all to a Roth, and my IRA value was $0 as of December 31st of each year. All contributions to my traditional IRA have been non-deductible, due to MAGI.

- I followed the Turbotax directions for entering a backdoor ROTH conversion, completing 

- Step 1: Enter the Non-Deductible Contribution to a Traditional IRA, for the backdoor ROTH of $6500 that I converted in March 2024 (for tax year 2023).

- I entered my 2023 1099-R and completed Step 2: Enter the Conversion from a Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, for the backdoor ROTH of $6,000 that I converted in March of 2023 (for tax year 2022).

- I followed the steps for "If your conversion contains contributions made in 2023 for 2022", and answered the questions about the basis from line 14 of 2022 Form 8606 ($6000) and the value of all traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs ($0).

Here is my current 2023 form 8606. Can you please tell me if my form looks correct based on the above information, or if there is anything I need to change?

I believe my form 8606 correctly shows that I:

1) have a basis of $6,500 to carry over to tax year 2024 (from my March 2024 non-deductible IRA contribution and conversion to ROTH for Tax Year 2023) and

2) $1 of my March 2023 conversion for Tax Year 2022 is taxable (in the day between contributing/converting, the value of my contribution increased in value by $1).  Thanks!

8606 Part 1.png8606 Part II and III.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Form 8606 for Backdoor ROTHs

Yes, everything appears to be correct for the situation you described.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies