Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 7205 Energy Efficient Commercial Buildings Deduction

Hello TurboTax, the federal return data was reviewed and found no errors.  

While proceeding with "File A Return" the software notes "Attachment Needed - Form 7205, Energy Efficiency Commercial Buildings Deduction".   

The entered value is $0 for this deduction on page 1, I did not enter this deduction on tax return. 

Please help?   

I'm using Windows 10 software, any tips here would be appreciated, thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

43 Replies
LDW2024

I'm having the same problem and am using Windows 11. 

Hello LDW2024, I spoke with Turbo Tax further about this form 7205, they were helpful in guiding me to figure it out.  It is a newly issued requirement starting for tax in 2023.  If your business owns a structure, or is involved with designing of government owned structures that may be the connection and reason for the requirement of completion of form 7205 even if the deduction does not apply.   The i7205 is a 4 page instruction form for whom it applies to.   After completion the form with $0 deduction and attaching to the return, the return was accepted by IRS.   Hope this helps.  

Hello all. I been trying to get with this issue for some time now but by God's grace; I figured it out on my own. Go back to your to where they ask you about the energy efficient commercial building and just remove the zero (0). It will fix your problem and there will be no errors! 

So where do I find this form 7205, so I can fill it out and NOT claim this deduction?

Frustrating.

I can't seem to REMOVE that zero - how did you get to that part of Schedule C and delete it?

Sorry.  Right now I am at. But I will try to post the step tonight or in the morning.  I was going to do this but was running late for work.

Sorry at work right now. Will repost how tonight when I get out or in the morning. 

Good morning! I am home from work, and it is now 12:47 am here. I had to walk through the step for you, but I got you and all who need help! First you need to do, is go back into the Turbotax program! Look for and go to the Business Expense part. Next go to the "All other expense!" Then I hit no, and it will say, enter your business expense. Look at the description! Here is where your problem is at! I entered all zero's here. I want you to remove the zero off of the "Energy Efficient Commercial Building and HIT CONTINUE! Then do the smart check! YOUR PROBLEMS ARE NOW SOLVED! THANKS BE TO GOD! 

New_Member_1234
Returning Member

I am on TurboTax Business Desktop 2023 and I cannot find the option for the Energy Efficient Commercial Buildings Deduction anywhere under Federal Taxes/Deductions. I have explicitly stated to TurboTax that I do now own or rent any real estate or property for business and I am still being prompted with the form. Any Idea what I should do next? Thank you for your time. 

• Sorry not sure. I used the  Deluxe version.

I couldn't delete Form 7205 because it wasn't shown in my list of forms under Schedule C or anywhere else.  I also couldn't eliminate the zero from the line that refers to Form 7205.  The zero seems to be hard wired.  I don't need the form and I prefer to submit electronically.  What do I do?  Thanks for your help.

This worked!  Go to "all other expenses" and then to Energy Efficient Commercial Building.  I had entered a zero in the box.  I deleted the zero and then proceeded to file my taxes. Problem solved!  The federal and state taxes were all filed.  Thank you Bighoss4620!

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Please clarify which version of TurboTax you are using. Online? Desktop? Premium? Home & Business?

@Bighoss4620 
@amykell 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am using a desktop and Turbo tax Deluxe

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies