Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

davmill1015
Returning Member

Form 2555 - Foreign Housing Exclusion location countries not listed under drop down selections

In the online (cloud-based) version of TT, Form 2555 Line 29b, the Philippines is not available as an option.  There is also no option for "All Other Countries" in first (A-L) or second (M-Z) country drop down list.   I have been filing online for several years using TT and have always been able to select the proper country (Philippines), but for tax year 2023, it is no longer an option.

I note on the 2023 Instructions for Form 2555 (Instructions for Form 2555 (2023) | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)) the Philippines and many other countries are NOT listed and the IRS states "If the location in which you incurred housing expenses is not listed in the table, and the number of days in your qualifying period is 365, enter $36,000 on line 29b.", which is 30% of the Foreign Earned Income exclusion ($120,000).  

The problem is TT online does not have an "All Other Countries" option and is likely pulling in the list of available countries directly from an IRS data source.  Solution:  TT online needs to include an option on Line 29b for "All Other Countries" defaulting to $36,000 for the limit on housing expenses, or an option to manually enter the country and the $36,000 figure.  While I can certainly select "Angola - All Other" or some other country as a workaround, my concern is a mismatch between the country selected and the actual country the housing expenses were incurred.  This may allow the e-file to go through but may cause problems with IRS validation.  

Can this please be shared ASAP with TT support to implement this seemingly simple fix?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Form 2555 - Foreign Housing Exclusion location countries not listed under drop down selections

At the moment, this is a known issue that is currently being investigated by Turbo Tax. Use this link to sign up for an email notification informing you when the information is resolved.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
davmill1015
Returning Member

Thank you @DaveF1006 ,  Do you know when this will be resolved?  Will it be fixed prior to the deadline to e-file 2023 taxes?

Thanks again!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

At the present, there is no ETA on the resolution date but rest assured it will be resolved before the tax filing deadline.

@davmill1015 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Has anyone answered this question about the absence of country names in the housing locations? Specifically… on the dropdown menu Re: Form  2555. I have used it  for many prior years but it is not complete now…glaring error and no possibility of “other” is included either as in the past

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies