Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Trust

I had applied for a loan from a foreign bank in India, and the loan amount was credited to my foreign bank account in India. While filling out TurboTax form, there's a section called: "Tell us about any Foreign Trust" so is a Foreign bank considered as a foreign trust, or is a trust something other than a bank? If I select "I received distribution or loan from a foreign trust" option in the above section, it asks to file form 3520 which I do not think is required for me, and I may only need to report this amount on FBAR and Form 8938, but want to clarify this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Foreign Trust

No a Foreign Trust is not a foreign bank so you did not receive this distribution from a foreign trust. there is no 3520 reporting requirement. 

There is a FBAR reporting requirement if the account had a balance of more than $10,000 during the year. There is a FATCA (8938) reporting requirement if the account balance  is more than $50,000 on the last day of the tax year or more than $75,000 at any time during the tax year if you are filing single or more than $100,000 on the last day of the tax year or more than $150,000 at any time during the tax year if filing Married Filing Jointly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies