Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sanbachu
Returning Member

Foreign Tax Credit remains 0

I need to claim my tax paid on india bank account interest using Foreign Tax Credit. but nothing changes after I entered all details and it still remains 0.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Did you receive or fill in a blank 1099-INT? 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@sanbachu , assuming that you are a US person ( citizen/GreenCard/ Resident for Tax purposes ), 

(a) you would have reported your  foreign  ( India ) interest earnings  just as if you had a 1099-INT --- obviously you will have to leave the  FEIN field blank;

(b) entered all your other incomes as is normal and by category.

(c) under  deductions and credits you have to tell TubroTax that you have  foreign tax credit to claim---  this would trigger an interview asking for the details about the  foreign taxes paid  and whether you want  credit  or deduction.

( d) If you choose credit and the total amount of foreign taxes  is  at or below  the safe harbor amount  ( $300 for a single filer and $600 for a MFJ ) then  it will allow you to choose  simplified method, no form 1116 and allow a full credit  ( up to  the applicable safe harbor  amount).

(e) Note that this foreign tax credit is a non-refundable credit  i.e.  it only reduces your tax liability ( not  below zero ).  So if your tax liability for the year is already zero, there will be no effect of this credit.

Does this answer your situation  or am I in the left field?

Is there more I can do for you ?

Namaste ji

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies