Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign tax credit - living abroad in country with higher taxes than USA

I have an overall question regarding the carryback/carry-forward foreign tax credit that results from living abroad in a country with higher taxes than the USA.

For example, suppose the amount of foreign tax you pay abroad is $5,000 more than US taxes every year you live abroad (assume I live in the same location abroad for 5 years). You file for the FTC, receive the credit and carry it forward each year. If you never live in the US or in a country with lower taxes than the US, is there any way to recover this additional tax ($25,000 over 5 years) that was paid abroad? Is there a way to request/receive a refund for any of this amount, or does it just disappear once the credits expire in 10 years?

I understand you can carry back the FTC credit to a previous year, but if you are always paying more taxes abroad, there will never be any foreign tax to offset in the previous year, correct?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

it just disappear once the credits expire in 10 years? Yes under current tax law

I understand you can carry back the FTC credit to a previous year, but if you are always paying more taxes abroad, there will never be any foreign tax to offset in the previous year, correct? Correct

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@j_master_flash , agreeing with my colleague @Mike9241 ,  that  in the situation that you describe and  for wages/ self-employment there is really no meaningful recourse.

If active income there is always the option of  Earned Income Exclusion but again that just eliminates US taxation  but also  US  taxes on the  unexcluded income is at a higher bracket.

If passive income, then there  is always  High Tax Kick Out  ( HTKO ) allowing the income to be treated as  general.

Generally the Tax Treaty  allows for mitigation of  effects of double taxation by  reducing and/or eliminating US  tax burden -- that is all the US can do .

Please tell more about  (a) what type of income;   (b) source country of the income and  (c) your tax home country.

I will come back if   ( and  when ) you  provide the details -- it may not solve your fundamental issue  but .....

pk

It's active income from a US-based employer, and my tax resident country is Indonesia. My US federal tax burden is quite a bit lower than what is deducted/paid for income tax in Indonesia.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@j_master_flash   

If active income  ( i.e. wages  or self-employment ), then  the most benefit you will get  is for US not to tax you on the income.    So you a choice of   Foreign Earned  Income Exclusion   OR    use Foreign Tax as a deduction  ( limited  by SALT limitations of US$10,000 )  OR  Foreign Tax Credit which again is limited ( i.e. allowable  portion ) by the lower of  allocated US taxes on the foreign income  OR actual amount paid ).

Thus we are back to your original question  -- how to get the FTC used up if you continue to have Foreign Income  and Foreign Tax Paid each year.  It is lost .  There is no curative path as long as the situation persists.

Sorry for the  "No Good" News.

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies