Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Tax Credit Computation Worksheet bug?

I have qualified dividends from foreign stock reported on 2 1099-DIVs (from TD & Schwab) with foreign taxes withheld.  I don't know by what miracle I managed to enter everything in Step-by-Step (despite the unbelievably convoluted way it handles permutations of countries & 1099-DIVs--I have RIC & Japan on Schwab's and RIC on TD's), but the Foreign Tax Credit Computation Worksheet (open at the bottom of the screen) appears correct. 

However, I am stuck on the Any foreign source qualified dividends or long capital gains? question (line h of the Worksheet.  It correctly prefilled "Total foreign income for this category", showing $32 for RIC & $288 for Japan; everything is qualified dividends, so the numbers it is asking for below should be the same, but when I enter $32 under RIC & $288 for Japan, it complains in red (in RIC column) This field should be at least $320. When I make it (incorrectly) $320, it says in red in RIC column This field should be no more than $32.  

With either error displayed, I cannot Continue.  Please, advise... 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hmmm, here is what I did this time:

1. Start over from the stuck screen by clicking Deductions & Credits on top, then I'll choose what I work on
  2. Scroll 3/4 down and click Update for "Foreign Taxes"
  3. Click Continue
  4. Tick off both "You have no more foreign taxes to enter other than those you already entered on a 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-OID, or a Schedule K-1" and "You have bno foreign tax credit carryovers from earlier years ..."; Continue
  5. Click Continue on the next screen saying "You Can Take the Foreign Tax Credit"
  6. Take a Credit
  7. Then it tells me what my credit is & advises my election to take it without Form 1116 is only valid in 2023

In other words, i'm unstuck, but can't tell how & why.  I possibly didn't tick off the right boxes in #4 above...   At any rate, this solves my issue.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Are you certain that both the RIC & Japan are 100% qualified only?  TT initially asks for foreign Ordinary Dividends which includes both unqualified and qualified dividends.  Schwab's year end summary takes Ordinary  dividends and separates them into sections; unqualified and qualified.  if the RIC & Japan both have qualified and unqualified dividends and most do, they will appear twice and if so the sum would be entered in the interview.

Yes, both 1099-DIVs have the same amounts in 1a & 1b, in addition TD explicitly breaks down Nonqualified (0.00 in my case) & Qualified on Foreign Income and Taxes Summary.  Regardless, the fact that the same date produces conflicting error messages indicates an issue.  The correct value is $32 & generates "This field should be at least $320." error; when I change the value (just for kicks & giggles) to $320 like it says, clicking Continue generates "This field should be no more than $32."  If that's not a bug, I don't know what is...  

For completeness, I will start over & take another pass, then report back here.  

Hmmm, here is what I did this time:

1. Start over from the stuck screen by clicking Deductions & Credits on top, then I'll choose what I work on
  2. Scroll 3/4 down and click Update for "Foreign Taxes"
  3. Click Continue
  4. Tick off both "You have no more foreign taxes to enter other than those you already entered on a 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-OID, or a Schedule K-1" and "You have bno foreign tax credit carryovers from earlier years ..."; Continue
  5. Click Continue on the next screen saying "You Can Take the Foreign Tax Credit"
  6. Take a Credit
  7. Then it tells me what my credit is & advises my election to take it without Form 1116 is only valid in 2023

In other words, i'm unstuck, but can't tell how & why.  I possibly didn't tick off the right boxes in #4 above...   At any rate, this solves my issue.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies