Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Tax Credit Comp Worksheet Mystery Amount

I have no foreign taxes paid in 2023 but I have foreign tax carryover so I went through the foreign tax credit data entry section.  Upon completing my Fed return one error was identified in the Smart Check reivew:  the first field in Part 1, Column A on the Foreign Tax Credit Comp Worksheet was flagged for being blank while the Part 1, g1a field showed $167 which by all appearances is a 2023 gross foreign income amount.

This $167 is a mystery amount since I have no 2023 foreign income.  I double and triple checked all my 1099-INTs and 1099-DIVs to make sure I didn't fumble finger an entry into the relevant fields.  Nope--no entry mistakes.  Bizarre.

I was also surprised to see a zero foreign tax credit calculation so I plugged "Various" into the error field in question to see what I'd get after clearing this one "error" and rerunning the Smart Check.  Still zero credit calculated, which is neither here not there for this post, so I deleted both the $167 amount and the "Various" in the worksheet but now both fields are flagged as errors.

Any explanation for this?  Any way to get rid of the mystery $167 / Various combo so as to clean up that worksheet to show no foreign income in 2023?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Update:

Regarding the OP, the $167 mystery amount appeared on my 2022 and 2021 returns, dragged forward to 2023.  At this point I'm not sure when, if ever, the $167 was a correct amount.  I'm away from home for an extended period where past 1099s are kept.

Suffice it to say, this is f'ed up.

Update #2:

I figured out how to clear out the $167 garbage entry carried over from the 2022 and 2021 returns by clicking on the A column field in question which took me a mini worksheet with more junk, the stock ticker I presume was associated with the $167 on a previous year return.

Case closed except how this cr*p got into my 2022 and 2023 returns in the first place.  Every year there is one issue or another with foreign tax credit processing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies