turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Tax Credit Carryovers

This is giving me a headache.  I have been doing ROTH conversions since 2022, so my income/taxes due are quite high.

In 2021 my foreign taxes paid on (general category) foreign income was $1712 of which I was able to use $955 as a foreign tax credit.  My 2021 c/o was $757.  Done by CPA.

In 2022, (starting ROTH conversions) my foreign taxes paid on (general category) foreign income was $1713 of which I was able to use $2192 as a foreign tax credit.  My 2022 c/o was $278.  Done by CPA.

In 2023, (continuing ROTH conversions) my foreign taxes paid on (general category) foreign income was $1749.  I am now using the online version of TurboTax Deluxe.

On the TurboTax Deluxe online page called [Foreign Tax Credit Carryovers] what do I enter in columns one and two of 2021 and 2022?

(depending on what I enter, I either get a foreign tax credit that's hundreds of dollars above what I paid and carryovered, or an amount that exactly covers all my credits and carryovers to date--$0 balance-- but generates an error message)  : TIA

Enter any foreign tax credit carryovers from a prior year.

Year Foreign Taxes Amount Used

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I'll page @dmertz. Please check back here later.

I'm actually using TurboTax Premium online.   TIA

the short way enter $278 from 2021 nothing for 2022

the long way enter gross FTC c/o from 2021 as 757 enter utilized as 479

under FTC rules current year is used before c/o's since your 2022 FTC utilized exceeded the 2022 FTC that arose you can leave that line blank or enter 1713 generated 1713 utilized.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Wallace_n_Gromit  I am not familiar with  the on-line version of the product and  so only can talk about what I would expect in the windows version.

With that being said , do you still need help ?    or have you resolved the issue(s) ?

I believe that I have finally resolved the issue.  Got the Foreign Tax Credit I expected to see without an error message.

Thanks for response

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies