turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ind
Level 3

Foreign tax credit carryover

According to IRS 514 Pub, disallowed foreign tax credit from one year can be carried over.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p514#en_US_2022_publink[phone number removed]

• If you choose to take the foreign tax credit, and the taxes paid or accrued exceed the credit limit for the tax year, you may be able to carry over or carry back the excess to another tax year. (See Limit on the Credit under How To Figure the Credit, later.)

When I took foreign tax credit for 2023, the Turbotax software did not give me an option to carry over excess/disallowed credit amount. It only gives option to carry back. I do not want to carry back.

btw, I understand the calculation done for how much credit is allowed for the current year. So, the question is only about how do I ensure that excess is recorded as carryover in the TT software. I use TT premier desktop Windows 11 version.

The telephone support person asked me to go to a CPA. However, the IRS guidelines are stated above and this is about the software code question and not about the tax advice. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, to ensure you receive a foreign tax carryover into 2024, switch to the forms mode in your program.  Now locate 1116 Comp Worksheet in the left pane on your screen.  it should be in the menu path directly below Form 1116 (copy XX).

Scroll toward the bottom of the worksheet when it appears to see if there is a carryover into 2024. Please see the screenshot below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The foreign tax credit does not allow taxpayers to “opt out” of the carryback,  However, you will not have a carryback in either of these conditions. 1) No foreign income of the same category in the previous year. 2) you already have fully utilized the maximum in the prior year or and thus have a carryforward or perhaps zero

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p514.pdf 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, to ensure you receive a foreign tax carryover into 2024, switch to the forms mode in your program.  Now locate 1116 Comp Worksheet in the left pane on your screen.  it should be in the menu path directly below Form 1116 (copy XX).

Scroll toward the bottom of the worksheet when it appears to see if there is a carryover into 2024. Please see the screenshot below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ind
Level 3

Dave,

Thank you! That worked. It showed the carryover I was looking for.

I hope TurboTax trains their phone support team with such answers.

ind
Level 3

hi Mike,

Answer by DaveF1006 worked. 

Thanks for yor reply.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies