turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SarahC50
Returning Member

Foreign tax credit carryover error

In 2018, we paid a certain amount in foreign taxes on mutual-fund dividends. My PDF of the 2018 return shows that we filed Form 1116 and a foreign-tax credit was applied for the entire amount. The same thing happened for 2019, but without Form 1116. For 2020, our entire foreign tax amount was again applied as a credit using Form 1116.

For 2021, my PDF shows we again paid foreign taxes and took a foreign-tax credit--but that a carryover from 2018 was added to what we had paid in 2021. The same thing happened for 2022.

This year, when I came to the Foreign Tax Credit Carryovers panel of EasyStep, instead of assuming TurboTax was correct and clicking through, I looked more closely and concluded that the 2021 and 2022 returns were in error; that we have been taking a credit that we shouldn't.

How did this happen, and what do I have to do to fix it? It does look as if the carryovers got adjusted in 2021; there are a number of carryover-related worksheets in the PDF for that return.

Am I posting this question in the wrong place? Should I try to get individual help from TurboTax? How do I do that?  Trying to get help has been frustrating in the extreme. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SarahC50
Returning Member

Foreign tax credit carryover error

Never mind. I think I see my mistake. I guess I'll be filing two amended returns. I would delete this question, but I don't see how. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies