Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Tax Credit - California difference

The IRS allows me to treat a foreign tax that I paid as either a Credit, or a Deduction.  Taking the credit is clearly better from a federal tax perspective, but in doing this I lose the ability to have it recognized in my California Sate return because CA does not allow such credits.  My question is: Can I enter the foreign item as an expense on my state return while keeping it as a credit on  my federal return?

Example.

Sale of a Canadian rental property for $1.3M  Canadian withholding tax approx. $300K.

• Claiming the foreign tax as a credit results in Federal tax = $25K, CA state tax = $120K
  • Claiming the foreign tax as a deduction results in Federal tax = 241K, and State tax = 87K

Best case would be to have the federal tax as a credit and the state tax as a deduction.

If this is allowed, how can I modify my state return (in Turbotax) since it draws data from the federal data.

Thanks for any advice.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To my knowledge, California does not allow a foreign tax credit or deduction. This is strictly a federal deduction or credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I choose to enter the foreign tax as an expense on  my federal form it automatically carries over to my California return as a "state and local" tax. Does this mean that TT is in error by allowing it?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies