Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Tac credit of a deceased taxpayer can be used by the heirs ?

Hello Dave !

i read on the internet that the Foreign Tax Credits accumulated by a deceased taxpayer ( in this case my dad)  can be used by his estate or heirs.  I could not locate this information on the IRS website help page for  FTC.   If  this is true where do i enter the credit on my tax return as a heir ?  Thanks !

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can you post where you read that? 

See https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-tax-credit

You can claim a credit only for foreign taxes that are imposed on you by a foreign country or U.S. possession.

There are 2 places that talk to it. 

In the first  link it is clear that beneficiaries cannot use it in succeeding years.

1. https://www.thomsonreuters.com/en-us/help/ultratax-cs/1041/allocation/allocation-of-foreign-tax-cred....

Allocation of foreign tax credit carryover
In the year the foreign tax credit is generated, the credit may be allocated to beneficiaries or be used against the estate or trust tax liability.
Any unused carryover may be used only against future estate or trust tax liability, but is no longer available for allocation to beneficiaries. Any unused foreign tax credit carryover expires at estate or trust termination.

Foreign Tax Credit Carryovers - Foreign tax credit carryovers can be used by the taxpayer's estate or heirs.

But elsewhere it also says this..i missed it earlier.
Carryovers – Generally, except as noted below, carryover deductions and credits can be used to the extent normally permitted on the decedent’s final return, but any excess does not carry over to the estate or beneficiaries. The carryovers included in this category are net operating loss (NOL), investment interest deduction, capital loss, business credit, minimum tax credit, passive loss credit, and the charitable contribution deduction. 

sorry for the churn !
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies