Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

foreign relative loan repayment interest tax

I took out 250k from HELOC and lent it to my foreign relative. A year later he repaid the loan with just enough interest to close out my HELOC. Do I need to file any forms for his 250k transfer back and is there any tax implications on my side?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Love2Bike wrote:

The purpose of using HELOC is to make money rather than spending it on a "home improvement" for instance. Is there any difference how I want to make money, wether buying a stock or loaning for a above HELOC interest rate to someone else? I made money on the transaction and my question is can I deduct the HELOC interest as expense from the income I made from that deal, in that case the loan?

There used to be a deduction under the category of "miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% rule" that could include, in some cases, money that you spend to make money.   For example, if you paid a fee to an investment advisor, or had a membership in a stock market analysis web site.  Those miscellaneous itemized deductions were eliminated for 2018-2025 by the tax reform law signed in 2017.

I don't know if using your HELOC to "make money" in general terms, would have even been allowed under the old rules, but since they are gone, I don't need to research it, and the answer is that in general, if you "use your HELOC to make money" you can't deduct the interest for tax years 2018-2025 and maybe longer.

The specific exception is investment interest on form 4952. If you borrow to buy an investment, the interest is deductible up to the proceeds of the investment.   For example, if you borrowed money to buy gold, and you didn't sell it, the interest isn't deductible.  But you can use form 4952 to keep track of the interest and carry it foreward to whenever you sold the gold.  If you sell in 10 years for a $1000 profit, you can deduct up to $1000 of interest you paid over the years, if you had been keeping track.  Or, you buy stock for $10,000 that pays $100 a year in dividends.  You borrowed at 5% so you pay $500 per year in interest.  You can deduct $100 of interest from the $100 dividends so the dividend is non-taxable, and you carry forward the other $400 of interest until you sell the stock, if you sell for a profit.

And the tracing rules must apply as I described.

I would consider an "investment" to be something you can buy on the open market--stocks, bonds, other securities, commodities, property, collectibles, etc.  Whether loaning money to a friend or family member counts as an "investment" is something you would need to have reviewed by your own hired tax professional.   Proving the difference between a gift, a loan, and an investment would require specific paperwork, most likely contracts and other documents. 

Note that part of the answer is that you are not engaged in the business of lending.  Suppose a small bank, ABC, Inc., borrows money from a big bank, XYZ Corp., at 3% interest, and loans it to borrowers at 6% interest.  (This is, in fact, how many banks work.)   ABC bank reports the interest it receives from customers as taxable income but they can deduct the interest they pay to their lending as a business expense.  You can't do that because you aren't in the business of lending.  You use the personal tax rules.  The miscellaneous itemized deduction is eliminated until 2026, so the only way to deduct loan interest is for you purchase investments and report and track the interest on form 4952 by following the tracing rules. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies

The interest that he paid you has to be reported as interest income. 

and you get no deduction for the interest on the HELOC. 

And if I used proceeds from HELOC to invest (say in stocks) and made profit from that investment, I cannot deduct HELOC interest from my investment profit as an "expense"?

Correct. That interest is only deductible if you use it to buy, build or improve your home. 

@Love2Bike wrote:

And if I used proceeds from HELOC to invest (say in stocks) and made profit from that investment, I cannot deduct HELOC interest from my investment profit as an "expense"?

This is tricky.  Yes, in theory, if you use an HELOC to purchase investments, that is "investment interest" which is tax deductible on form 4952 (not schedule A, because it was not used to improve your home).  Investment interest can be any loan used to purchase the investment, it does not have to be a loan that is specifically tied to the investment.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-4952

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p550

However, there are 2 issues that make this more complicated.

First, if declare that the HELOC is investment interest and not home mortgage interest, then it can never be home mortgage interest again.  You can "uncouple" the HELOC from the home and treat it as an unsecured loan, but you can't go back later and recouple it. So if you decided in the future to use the HELOC for an improvement that would normally qualify for the mortgage interest deduction, you can't use that deduction any more.

Second, you must be able to accurately trace and allocate the interest to the investment and prove it is not for anything else.  For example, if you borrow $50K on your HELOC to purchase an investment and you have no other outstanding HELOC balances, then you can easily trace and allocate 100% of the interest to the investment.  However, if you were to use part of the HELOC to pay off credit cards, or take a vacation, or make home improvements, then you start mixing money and it becomes much harder to allocate a specific dollar of interest to the investment, and therefore much more likely that you could lose the deduction if audited. 

Ok, so back to my original question, I took out $250k from HELOC, lent it all to someone for HELOC+X% all traceable via wire transfers, got repaid back via wire, closed my HELOC fully.  Then based on what you wrote I only owe taxes on X% interest and not HELOC+X%.

@Love2Bike wrote:

Ok, so back to my original question, I took out $250k from HELOC, lent it all to someone for HELOC+X% all traceable via wire transfers, got repaid back via wire, closed my HELOC fully.  Then based on what you wrote I only owe taxes on X% interest and not HELOC+X%.

You are combining two things in a very strange way.

If you buy an investment with a loan, the investment income is taxable to you (interest, dividends, or capital gains).  You can deduct the interest on the loan up to the amount of investment income you report.  

If you loan money to someone and they repay you with interest, the interest is taxable income to you.  But if you loan someone money and they buy an investment, then you only have a loan transaction.  What the borrower does with the money has no effect on your tax return.  (Investing in someone's business is different from the tax point of view than loaning them money personally.)

So did you buy an investment or loan someone money?

The purpose of using HELOC is to make money rather than spending it on a "home improvement" for instance. Is there any difference how I want to make money, whether buying a stock or loaning for a above HELOC interest rate to someone else? I made money on the transaction and my question is can I deduct the HELOC interest as expense from the income I made from that deal, in my case - loaning my HELOC?

@Love2Bike wrote:

The purpose of using HELOC is to make money rather than spending it on a "home improvement" for instance. Is there any difference how I want to make money, wether buying a stock or loaning for a above HELOC interest rate to someone else? I made money on the transaction and my question is can I deduct the HELOC interest as expense from the income I made from that deal, in that case the loan?

There used to be a deduction under the category of "miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% rule" that could include, in some cases, money that you spend to make money.   For example, if you paid a fee to an investment advisor, or had a membership in a stock market analysis web site.  Those miscellaneous itemized deductions were eliminated for 2018-2025 by the tax reform law signed in 2017.

I don't know if using your HELOC to "make money" in general terms, would have even been allowed under the old rules, but since they are gone, I don't need to research it, and the answer is that in general, if you "use your HELOC to make money" you can't deduct the interest for tax years 2018-2025 and maybe longer.

The specific exception is investment interest on form 4952. If you borrow to buy an investment, the interest is deductible up to the proceeds of the investment.   For example, if you borrowed money to buy gold, and you didn't sell it, the interest isn't deductible.  But you can use form 4952 to keep track of the interest and carry it foreward to whenever you sold the gold.  If you sell in 10 years for a $1000 profit, you can deduct up to $1000 of interest you paid over the years, if you had been keeping track.  Or, you buy stock for $10,000 that pays $100 a year in dividends.  You borrowed at 5% so you pay $500 per year in interest.  You can deduct $100 of interest from the $100 dividends so the dividend is non-taxable, and you carry forward the other $400 of interest until you sell the stock, if you sell for a profit.

And the tracing rules must apply as I described.

I would consider an "investment" to be something you can buy on the open market--stocks, bonds, other securities, commodities, property, collectibles, etc.  Whether loaning money to a friend or family member counts as an "investment" is something you would need to have reviewed by your own hired tax professional.   Proving the difference between a gift, a loan, and an investment would require specific paperwork, most likely contracts and other documents. 

Note that part of the answer is that you are not engaged in the business of lending.  Suppose a small bank, ABC, Inc., borrows money from a big bank, XYZ Corp., at 3% interest, and loans it to borrowers at 6% interest.  (This is, in fact, how many banks work.)   ABC bank reports the interest it receives from customers as taxable income but they can deduct the interest they pay to their lending as a business expense.  You can't do that because you aren't in the business of lending.  You use the personal tax rules.  The miscellaneous itemized deduction is eliminated until 2026, so the only way to deduct loan interest is for you purchase investments and report and track the interest on form 4952 by following the tracing rules. 

Ah, got it!  Thank you very much, appreciate your clarification.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies