Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MGloeckler
Returning Member

FOREIGN ACCOUNTS QUESTION ON FEDERAL TAX RETURN

Hi, I don't know if there is a glitch in the system or what but my foreign accounts question has a check mark in the yes block, however I don't have any foreign accounts and I don't recall checking the yes block. Will this delay my refund?  Do I need to let the IRS know that I do not have any foreign accounts? Do you think this might be the reason why IRS is holding our refund?  PLease advise  maria gloeckler

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

No, checking the box that states that you have foreign financial assets on Schedule B (I assume that's where you are seeing it) would not delay your tax refund. 

Have you checked Where's my refund website? Sometimes the IRS needs additional verification. Check the status of your refund there and follow any suggested steps. 

For state refund, use this Help Article.

Going back to foreign accounts. If the box that asks whether you are required to file FinCEN Form 114 is marked as yes (see screenshot), I would suggest taking a conservative stance and filing an amendment tax return unchecking any unrelated boxes. The penalties for not filing required foreign account forms are very steep.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MGloeckler
Returning Member

I checked my where is my refund and it says nothing except that it is still being processed and that it is delayed longer than normal. I was informed that I cannot do an amended tax return until i get another IRS notice with instructions.  Its been 30 days since i got the letter However, I just went over my taxes again and noticed that I left 6A blank. I forgot to put my husbands social security benefits there. I forgot. It's our first time filing taxes with social security income.  Could that be why it's delayed?   thanks maria [PII removed]

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Possibly.  The missing Social Security number could be a part of the reason for the delay.

I suggest reviewing the latest letter you received.  Many times, the taxing agency will provide a timeline for when you would expect to hear back from them as well as contact information you can use to ask about the status of the notice.  This link provides more details on the types of letters or notices issued by the IRS.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies