Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Firpta and capital gains

I would like to know if my husband and I qualify for a exclusion from capital gains tax on the sale of our home. I am a US citizen, he is an undocumented immigrant, he has an ITIN and we file married filing jointly....we will be selling our home that we owned for almost 3 years. We resided in the home the entire time, we bought the house while married however I chose not to be put on the deed but the deed states "grantee a married man". We bough the home for $37k and will be selling it for $300k or less. I would like to know if we qualify for the capital gaim exclusion and will have no tax liability and also if there will be firpta withholding 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Firpta and capital gains

For a married couple filing jointly, only one spouse has to meet the ownership requirement. No, the spouse is not required to be on the title for the $500,000 exclusion when married. But the spouse MUST have lived in the home for at least 2 years during the previous 5 years on the date of sale. 

Firpta applies to non resident aliens which does not appear to be your situation. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies