Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cespirit

Family loan from foreign country

I am a non Us citizen, but with tax resident status in the US. I am going to request a loan to a family member outside the US. for a little over $115 K.  Does this loan gets any tax implications for me? do I need to report it in the US?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
maglib
Level 11

Family loan from foreign country

@cespirit   to be clear you are borrowing money from overseas and will owe interest on that debt.

If that is the case the interest you pay must be reported on a 1099 if they have a US ITIN number or SSN otherwise on a 1042-S annually and you must withhold generally 30% in taxes (dependent on tax treaties with the country) on the interest and remit those funds to the IRS for the lender. This may require the lender to have to file a tax return within the US.  The interest must be at market rates and if not, you must impute interest and still withhold taxes.The Form 1042-S, along with the transmittal Form 1042-T, must also be filed with the IRS.

If the money is a gift, there is no interest reporting.

For either You will be required to report the foreign money received on Form 3520 Distributions from a FGN TRUST if the amount exceeds the filing threshold which is 100k,  and that is total of all fgn source funds if they exceed then every transaction $5k or more must all be reported.

If a gift is in excess of $18,567 for 2023 (indexed for inflation), you must separately identify each gift and identify the donor.

Form 3520 is filed separate from your tax return and due 15th day of the fourth month following the end of the U.S. person's tax year

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies