Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

au871

Family HSA Coverage contribution limit special case question

Hi There,

I have a kind of unique situation and have not been able to find a clear answer.

My boyfriend (who I live with but is not my husband or my domestic partner) is on my HDHP as a post-tax eligible adult. We are the only two people on the health insurance plan. I am not claiming him as a dependent on my taxes. I understand that I cannot use my HSA funds to pay for his medical expenses, as he's not a tax dependent, but my question is: can I contribute up to the family contribution limit (rather than the individual contribution limit) for the HSA because I technically have a family HDHP (which, from my understanding, is any plan with more than one person on it)?

This post makes me think so, but my company's HR department and my HSA company can't give me an answer.

Thanks for your help!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Read page 2 which addresses your question. 
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-05-25.pdf

au871

Yes thank you! I had actually found that and this bit is part of what makes me think that yes, I can contribute up to the family max:

Family coverage is any coverage other than self-only coverage (e.g., an HDHP covering one eligible individual and at least one other individual (whether or not the other individual is an eligible individual)).

But I wasn’t sure if that was enough confirmation considering I couldn’t find it anywhere else. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies