Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Equity deposit into single member LLc

Hello- I have a single member LLC. I have self funded the LLC over the last year." w. periodic deposits from personal checking into business checking. It is my understanding that these equity deposits are not counted as income. 

Can I “write off” the amount I used to fund the business on my personal taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I “write off” the amount I used to fund the business on my personal taxes? for tax purposes, a single-member LLC is the same taxpayer as you.  You can not write off money transferred from your right to your left pocket since you are no poorer. Thus these deposits are not deductible. However, depending on what the money put in was used for you may be entitled to deduct those expenses. Any revenue you receive is also reportable. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Can I “write off” the amount I used to fund the business on my personal taxes? for tax purposes, a single-member LLC is the same taxpayer as you.  You can not write off money transferred from your right to your left pocket since you are no poorer. Thus these deposits are not deductible. However, depending on what the money put in was used for you may be entitled to deduct those expenses. Any revenue you receive is also reportable. 

Carl
Level 15

A single member LLC is a disregarded entity in the eyes the IRS. So money earned by the LLC is treated the same as money earned by you. Putting money from your personal funds into the business account does not create a reportable event. You'll basically taken money out of your left pocket and put it into your right pocket.
Now monies spent by the business "may" be a deductible expense on the SCH C. It just depends on what that money was spent on..... business expense or personal expense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies