Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DasherBee

Dry Cleaning Deductions

Hi, I’m a reseller on eBay and I’m interested in reselling clothing again which I plan on purchasing. Is dry cleaning a tax deductible for my inventory? It will be a business expense I plan on using but want to make sure before I start using the dry cleaners establishment. Thanks! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Dry Cleaning Deductions

The IRS requires that business expenses be ordinary and necessary. While dry cleaning your own clothing is not deductible, a case could be made for cleaning items prior to resale. However, if you are buying items that are new, this probably won't fly.

Dry Cleaning Deductions

If you read the IRS website, you will find an expansion of the definition of “ordinary and necessary.“. Expenses do not have to be essential or indispensable, but they need to be ordinary, typical, or customary for the type of business you’re doing.  That gives you a fair amount of leeway, and it also depends on what your business actually consists of.

I think you could certainly justify cleaning used clothes before selling them. I think you could probably even justify cleaning new clothes before you resold them, depending on what your business actually proposes to do. For example, many people wash new clothes before wearing them because they don’t know where they’ve come from and how they’ve been treated, particularly since so many of our clothes are made in foreign countries. (I seem to recall an episode of TV, maybe forensic files, in which blue jeans purchased in Mexico were contaminated with a deadly pesticide.)  If you are using some special organic approved, low environmental impact, green friendly creating process and you advertise that your clothes are safer or greener because of your process, and you can get people to pay a premium for that, then why not consider that an expense of that particular business.  

It ultimately comes down to whether the expenses you claim would be considered customary, reasonable, ordinary, necessary, etc. for the specific business activity you are performing.

DasherBee

Dry Cleaning Deductions

I’m not dry cleaning my personal clothing, only the clothes for resale. Majority of the inventory will be preowned. 

Dry Cleaning Deductions

this is potentially another issue. there is code section 263A which required certain indirect costs for inventory including inventory acquired for resale to be capitalized as part of the cost.  so there's no doubt that the dry cleaning would be allowed but the question is whether currently deductible or added to the cost of the item. 

263A

(a)Nondeductibility of certain direct and indirect costs
(1)In general
In the case of any property to which this section applies, any costs described in paragraph (2)—
(A)in the case of property which is inventory in the hands of the taxpayer, shall be included in inventory costs,

(2)Allocable costs
The costs described in this paragraph with respect to any property are—
(A)the direct costs of such property, and
(B)such property’s proper share of those indirect costs (including taxes) part or all of which are allocable to such property.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies