Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening NOW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DMFN
Level 1

Driveway, roadway to walkout basement

I operate a business in my walkout basement.  Presently, I am unable to access the area for loading/unloading if weather conditions are poor.  I plan to add a roadway around the side of the house to the back doors.  I have a large existing driveway for parking vehicles in the front of the house, but it does not allow me to take trucks to the back to load/unload.  I may also park trailers and equipment owned by the business when the roadway isn’t needed.  Am I able to deduct this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Probably depreciable as a land improvement but perhaps the cost may need to allocated between the increase in value to the property held for personal use and business use.

I'll page @AmeliesUncle 

I agree that it would be depreciated as a land improvement.

If it isn't used for any personal purposes, I would claim it as 100% business.  If it used for any personal purposes (for example, parking personal vehicles or partly personal vehicles on it), you would need to determine a business percentage for the roadway.

DMFN
Level 1

Thank you.  I was considering that the first 38 ft may end up being used as parking for a mixed use vehicle.  It would be difficult for anyone to think the rest of it would have any personal value. 

@DMFN wrote:

Thank you.  I was considering that the first 38 ft may end up being used as parking for a mixed use vehicle.  It would be difficult for anyone to think the rest of it would have any personal value. 

Be aware that business improvements are depreciated over 39 years and must be repaid (recaptured) when you sell the property.  However, the current tax deduction is usually considered more valuable than the future payback, due to the effects of inflation. 

I'm not sure why this land improvement couldn't use a cost recovery period of 15 years or even bonus depreciation.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p946#en_US_2022_publink1000107513

I'll page @AmeliesUncle again.

@tagteam wrote:

I'm not sure why this land improvement couldn't use a cost recovery period of 15 years or even bonus depreciation.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p946#en_US_2022_publink1000107513

I'll page @AmeliesUncle again.

I think you are right, appendix B includes both "sidewalks" and "roads" as 15 years. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies