Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I entered foreign income business expenses for the purpose of the foreign income exclusion, should I re-enter those same expenses when I get to the deductions/credits?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

If I entered foreign income business expenses for the purpose of the foreign income exclusion, should I re-enter those same expenses when I get to the deductions/credits?

What type of business expenses?  How did you enter them when entering info for the foreign income exclusion?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Home office and utilities expenses.  I entered them specifically under foreign income exclusion, but then when I got to the deductions/credits section it asked for expenses and didn't direct me to leave out the ones already listed under the foreign income exclusion.
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

No.  You can only enter the expenses in one place in the return -- no "double-dipping."  🙂

If your foreign earned income is under $102,100 (the maximum exclusion), I suggest putting the expenses in another area of the return, if appropriate. 

If your foreign earned income is higher than the $102,100, you can take the expenses to reduce your income on the 2555 or in another part of the return to reduce your income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
alaa-elmasri
Returning Member

Does the amount need to be entered as a negative number? When I enter these expenses as a positive number my outstanding federal tax increases. When I changed to a negative numbers my outstanding tax decreases.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies