Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zncu
Level 2

Does "Gross Income from All Sources" on F1116 Line 3e include *net* capital gain/loss, or only gain?

Like many others I have a high, unexplained number populated on my Form 1116 Line 3e ("Gross Income from All Sources"). Per the second link, I checked the "data source" for that line, and tabulated the values for every single line item listed therein. Needless to say, it doesn't match up. It is unfortunate that Turbotax itself does not give a detailed breakdown, but my recourse is to enter an adjustment to the original amount in the "Gross Income from All Sources Worksheet" to arrive at a value that I think is correct.

My question is: does the gross income include net capital gain/loss, or capital gain only? The "data source" line item states "All gains reported on Schedule D minus Schedule D, line 11, Subtotal Line A(Form 4797, Gain from Part I)". Does "all gains on Sch D" mean gains only, or gains net of losses? Only if it is "gains only" do I get a figure that is at least in the ballpark of what TT has originally reported in Line 3e (although even that is short of TT's figure).

Edit: I discovered where the original figure comes from. If I add up every single gain-only number (leaving out losses) from Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets and add Sch D Line 13 (Cap gain distributions), then I get the exact number that TT originally populated on F1116 Line 3e. I suppose my original question is still valid, is it correct to include only gains?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does "Gross Income from All Sources" on F1116 Line 3e include *net* capital gain/loss, or only gain?

gross income
means the total of your gross receipts
(reduced by cost of goods sold), total
capital and ordinary gains (before
subtracting any losses), and all other
income (before subtracting any
deductions).
so capital gains included capital losses are not. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

gross income
means the total of your gross receipts
(reduced by cost of goods sold), total
capital and ordinary gains (before
subtracting any losses), and all other
income (before subtracting any
deductions).
so capital gains included capital losses are not. 

zncu
Level 2

Thanks @Mike9241, that makes it crystal clear.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies