Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

coltmeraw

Do my personal property taxes paid on automobiles go under the car registration fees or personal property taxes section? I thought personal property taxes, but automobile isn't in the example.

Personal property taxes is listed as "uncommon", but I tend to think personal property taxes on cars is very common.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do my personal property taxes paid on automobiles go under the car registration fees or personal property taxes section? I thought personal property taxes, but automobile isn't in the example.

Turbotax wants it to go under the car registration fees because in many states a portion of the registration fee is a personal property tax. It is not billed separately to the owner as would be a personal property tax on a boat or an airplane. It really doesn't matter where you put it because it ends up on the same line of your Schedule A regardless of where you enter it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Turbotax wants it to go under the car registration fees because in many states a portion of the registration fee is a personal property tax. It is not billed separately to the owner as would be a personal property tax on a boat or an airplane. It really doesn't matter where you put it because it ends up on the same line of your Schedule A regardless of where you enter it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies