Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do i report the travel expenses of my job-seeking costs under travel expenses or job seeking costs although its travel related (car rental, airfare and hotel)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelDC

Do i report the travel expenses of my job-seeking costs under travel expenses or job seeking costs although its travel related (car rental, airfare and hotel)?

Although both travel expenses and job-seeking costs are in the same part of your return, you may consider, if you don't typically have unreimbursed travel expenses, putting them under the job-seeking section of the interview.

Here's some more info that you may find helpful:

Job-search expenses while looking for new work in your current occupation are an allowable deduction, even if you don't land a job.

The expenses must be directly and exclusively related to your job search, and could include things like:

• Preparing your résumé.
  • Printing and mailing costs.
  • Posting your résumé and placing ads.
  • Phone and computer expenses.
  • Food and lodging for out-of-town job-hunting trips.
  • Mileage.
  • Employment and outplacement agency fees.
  • Registration fees for conventions and other networking opportunities specific to your line of work.

Job search expenses aren't fully deductible as they are subject to the 2% rule. Here are some more limitations:

• Expenses incurred while searching for a job in a new occupation aren't deductible.
    • This means that most newly-graduated high-school and college students won't be able to claim this deduction, unless they were already engaged in the same line of work while in school. 
  • You can't deduct things like a new outfit for a job interview or a computer you bought to help with the job search because those things could (theoretically) be used for other occasions.
  • Home office expenses don't qualify as job-search expenses.
  • Expenses aren't deductible if there was a substantial break between the end of your last job and the time you began looking for a new one (for example, if you left your job 15 years ago to raise a family and are now trying to re-enter the workforce).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies