Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jessielynn177
Returning Member

Do I qualify for the American Opportunity Credit?

I started my secondary education in 2014 but as I was only part-time until 2018 I am just now graduating in May, I was considered a Senior throughout 2020. I am not sure if I qualify for the AOTC credit as I am not sure what they define 4 years of post-secondary education to be, is it 4 years in credits? or 4 literal years of study? Also, is there any way to verify that I have not claimed it 4 times previously? The IRS only has years 2017-2019 through the transcript tool. I claimed lifetime learning for those years but have no clue about 2014-2016 and the system I filed with is not offering those dates either.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

As you have completed more than 4 years of post-secondary education at the beginning of 2020, you are not eligible for the American Opportunity credit. You may be eligible for the Lifetime Learning credit or the Tuition and fee deduction.

To be eligible for AOTC, the student must:

• Be pursuing a degree or other recognized education credential
  • Be enrolled at least half time for at least one academic period* beginning in the tax year
  • Not have finished the first four years of higher education at the beginning of the tax year
  • Not have claimed the AOTC or the former Hope credit for more than four tax years
  • Not have a felony drug conviction at the end of the tax year
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

As you have completed more than 4 years of post-secondary education at the beginning of 2020, you are not eligible for the American Opportunity credit. You may be eligible for the Lifetime Learning credit or the Tuition and fee deduction.

To be eligible for AOTC, the student must:

• Be pursuing a degree or other recognized education credential
  • Be enrolled at least half time for at least one academic period* beginning in the tax year
  • Not have finished the first four years of higher education at the beginning of the tax year
  • Not have claimed the AOTC or the former Hope credit for more than four tax years
  • Not have a felony drug conviction at the end of the tax year
jessielynn177
Returning Member

So even though I had not completed my bachelors qualifications/ 4 years (120 credits) before 2020 I am still ineligible? If I did claim it from 2014-2016 it would’ve only been 3 times.

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

The law does not mention the completion of a degree. It counts the years you were in post-secondary education.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies