Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Snowpea98

Do i qualify for FEIE this year?

From what i understand of FEIE Physical Presence test, i have to be out of the country for 330 days in a 12 month period.  The 12 month period can overlap over any part of the current tax year, but i can only claim the deduction for whatever percentage it overlaps.

If i've moved out of the country in August of this year, and i don't plan to return to the US for the next 330 days, can i qualify for FEIE for the period of August 2019->July 2020 for 4/12ths of the FEIE deduction?  If so, how do i note the FEIE period when filling out my taxes next year? (since the period i'm using to qualify is technically not completed)

Thanks in advance for any advice and insight.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

The 12 month period can overlap over any part of the current tax year, but i can only claim the deduction for whatever percentage it overlaps.

Incorrect ... there is no part year FEIE ... if you qualify then you can exclude the entire year's foreign income during the tax year  ... however you will have to file an extension and only file when you have met the time frame.  

Snowpea98

Does this mean that as long as all of my income was earned while i was abroad this year, i can claim the full $105,900 deduction? Even though the 12 month period i've chosen only overlaps with 5 months of this year?

Sorry ... the first answer may have been confusing ... the FEI will be excludable on each tax return you file ... the 2019 on the 2019 return and the 2020 on the 2020 return ... but you MUST wait to file the 2019 return until you have passed the time frame required.  Follow the interview screens carefully and the program will do all the work for you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies