rogertaliulu

Do I need to fill anything out if my husband was disabled in 2020? Medical expenses?

My husband was in a car accident and is now quadriplegic.
AnnetteB6

There is nothing specific on your tax return that you need to do in order to report that your husband is disabled.  

If you did have medical expenses that you had to pay out of pocket that were not reimbursed by medical insurance, then you can enter those expenses for a possible deduction.  

TurboTax will ask you about several categories of medical expenses that you may have had.  If you have your expenses broken down into categories, then you can enter each category as you go through.  If you only have a total amount, you can enter that at the end of the section where you can type your own description and enter the amount.

Use the following steps to go through the medical expenses section of your return:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “medical expenses, sch a” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here including the comma) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to medical expenses, sch a
  • Click on the blue “Jump to medical expenses, sch a” link

You must also claim any disability income that he received that was reported on a Form SSA-1099, 1099-R, etc.