turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

elevenxthree
Returning Member

Do I leave 1098 "Outstanding mortgage principal as of 1/1/2019" blank if origination date is after 1/1/2019?

I found another answer that says this should be left blank, but TurboTax won't let me do that. It links the value with "Box 2 - Outstanding mortgage principal" so I can't change one without it updating the other.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Do I leave 1098 "Outstanding mortgage principal as of 1/1/2019" blank if origination date is after 1/1/2019?

In your case, it may be fastest to delete your 1098 and start over with the 1098 data entry.

To delete the 1098, please do a Search (upper right) for 1098 and click on the jump-to result (on a Mac, you will have to search through the Topic List for 1098 and click on it).

You should see a table of your 1098s (maybe just the one). Click on the Delete button to delete it (on the trash can icon if that's all there is).

Then click on Add a Lender to start the data entry process for your 1098 over again and see if you can leave that date blank this time.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
elevenxthree
Returning Member

I did try that but those 2 values are always linked. However it seems like that actually is correct. The IRS 1098 instructions say:

Box 2. Outstanding Mortgage Principal
Enter the amount of outstanding principal on the mortgage as of January 1, 2019. If you originated the mortgage in 2019, enter the mortgage principal as of the date of origination. If you acquired the mortgage in 2019, enter the outstanding mortgage principal as of the date of acquisition

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies