Yes, you can deduct points paid on your main home, on Schedule A. Points are fees charged for acquiring a loan. These fees may also be called loan origination fees, maximum loan charges, loan discount, or discount points.
In TurboTax, please do the following:
- Take me to my return, Click on Federal.
- Deductions & Credits
- Your Home
- Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance, Click Start
- Did you pay any home loans in 2017?
- Who's your mortgage lender?
- Do any of these uncommon situations apply to your loan with ____?
- Let's get the details from your __1098 now
- Did you take out this loan in 2017?
- Did you pay points in 2017 when you took out the loan?, select I paid points when I purchased or refinanced to improve my main home in 2017.
- Then you will be able to select points are reported on my 1098