Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do i have to file taxes if i didn't earn an income in the US, but i do have more than 10k in a foreign account. is an FBAR all that is required?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Do i have to file taxes if i didn't earn an income in the US, but i do have more than 10k in a foreign account. is an FBAR all that is required?

If you are a US citizen, permanent resident, or tax resident, then you must file an income tax return if you had any worldwide income.  

However, if you had no income from any country, and simply lived on savings or other support then your only requirement would be the FBAR/FinCEN114 which is filed HERE.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thank you!

yes, i am a US citizen, have no income in the States, but I do receive a very small amount of interest from my foreign account.  TTax says i can not file electronically this year.  Is this because i have no income?  Do i really have to pay TTax for such a basic filing, especially if i have to do the FBAR on my own anyhow?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You may not need to file a tax return based on the small amount of income you have. You can use this worksheet to determine if you need to file a tax return:  Do I need to file a return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies