Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to file an OR return if I live in CA, selling second home in OR, also what will happen on my CA return, don't they import capital gains from my Federal?

I live in CA.  3 years ago I bought a condo in OR for my daughter to live in.  She has moved to another state and I am selling the condo.  Do I have to file a state of Oregon return.

What will happen with my CA return, it imports capital gain information from my federal return?

Can Turbo Tax handle the CA return?  I don't want to pay in both states.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I have to file an OR return if I live in CA, selling second home in OR, also what will happen on my CA return, don't they import capital gains from my Federal?

"Do I have to file a state of Oregon return."

Assuming you have a gain on sale that's greater than the amounts listed here:

http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/programs/individuals/Pages/file-requirements.aspx#part

then the answer is "Yes."

"What will happen with my CA return, it imports capital gain information from my federal return?

Can Turbo Tax handle the CA return?  I don't want to pay in both states."

You will report the gain on sale in both states.  The way you avoid being "double taxed" is by taking a tax credit on your California income tax return for the taxes paid to Oregon.  Obviously you need to prepare your Oregon income tax return first reporting your "Oregon-sorced" income; presumably that's only the gain on sale of the condo.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

"Do I have to file a state of Oregon return."

Assuming you have a gain on sale that's greater than the amounts listed here:

http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/programs/individuals/Pages/file-requirements.aspx#part

then the answer is "Yes."

"What will happen with my CA return, it imports capital gain information from my federal return?

Can Turbo Tax handle the CA return?  I don't want to pay in both states."

You will report the gain on sale in both states.  The way you avoid being "double taxed" is by taking a tax credit on your California income tax return for the taxes paid to Oregon.  Obviously you need to prepare your Oregon income tax return first reporting your "Oregon-sorced" income; presumably that's only the gain on sale of the condo.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies