Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

klowe28

Do I enter the exact amount of medical expenses ive already paid in the medical expense area?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM

Do I enter the exact amount of medical expenses ive already paid in the medical expense area?

Yes, you'll enter any Out of Pocket costs for qualified medical expenses.  Don't include anything you've been reimbursed for, or anything paid from a tax preferred account (i.e. an HSA).

You'll enter your expenses by clicking on the Federal Taxes tab, then Deductions & Credits, then Medical, then Medical Expenses.  TurboTax will show you a variety of categories where you can input expenses.

Keep in mind that the deduction for medical expenses is taken on Schedule A as an itemized deduction, which means that you have to be able to itemize in order to receive it.  So if the standard deduction is greater than all your itemized deductions, then you'll receive the standard deduction and you won't see your medical expenses appear on the tax return.  TurboTax will make the calculation for you and determine whether the standard deduction or itemizing will get you more of a benefit.

Here's a link to IRS Publication 502 which discusses all aspects of the medical expense deduction:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies