Do i enter paid moving expenses even though it is paid by the employer in box 1 on W2 and the expenses were less than what the employer had given me?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i enter paid moving expenses even though it is paid by the employer in box 1 on W2 and the expenses were less than what the employer had given me?

1 Reply

Yes you can, provided the reimbursement is included on the W-2, Box 1.

Whether your employer reimburses you or not for any of the following expenses, they are deductible from your income net of any reimbursement.

• Household Goods and personal effects, includes cost of van, packing, crating, insurance, disconnecting & reconnecting utilities, and all appliances, satellite dishes, antennas, cable, etc.
  • Storage of household goods and personal items within a period of 30 consecutive days.
  • Shipping a car, motorcycle, boat, and pets.
  • Rental vans plus gas, oil, tolls, and parking fees.
  • Tips for the movers, includes cost of food items, donuts, coffee, pizza and sodas, etc.
  • Cost of any packing supplies you purchase for personal packing.
  • Moving a college student.
  • Transportation from Temporary living to your permanent home.
  • Rental car for final move up to four days – 3 days in old location – 1 day in new location.
  • The IRS has adjusted the standard mileage allowances for use of a car in travel to 19.5 cents per mile for moving expenses.
The IRS has a great tool on their website called "Can I deduct my moving expenses?" Just click this link, answer a few questions and the tool will tell exactly what you can  deduct and for how much:  http://www.irs.gov/uac/Can-I-Deduct-My-Moving-Expenses%3F
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings