Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gomadog

Do I claim it ? Got no 1099S for home sale in Idaho, only letter from real estate agent. Under $500,000 capital gains after commission, closing costs. Filing jointly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Do I claim it ? Got no 1099S for home sale in Idaho, only letter from real estate agent. Under $500,000 capital gains after commission, closing costs. Filing jointly.

If you meet the qualifications for an exclusion from gain which are having lived in and owned your personal home for two of the last five years, then you are not required to file for the sale of your home since the sale was not reported to the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gomadog

We lived in and owned the home for almost 4 years.  We paid $369.000 for the home and then sold it for $875,000.  After the real estate agents commission and the closing costs it was under the $500,000 filing jointly.  I usually do my own taxes on turbo Tax.  Question:  Do I just do my taxes as I normally do and completely ignore the sale of the home ?  I remember that Turbo Tax will ask if I sold a home that (2022) tax year.  Thank you so much !!!  Gary

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

You should enter the sale.

It will be listed on Schedule D as zero gain if it meets the requirements for the Home Exclusion to Capital Gain. 

Follow the interview in TurboTax in the Income, "Sale of Home" section

If the IRS is looking for the reporting of the sale, it is best to have it reported. Who knows? A 1099-S could have been issued and simply got "lost in the mail" 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies