Solved: Divorced mom 2 kids separation agmt we each claim one child. He hasn't seen the kids in 3 years so doesn't meet the 6 mth requirement. Can I claim both kids?

jencollings

Divorced mom 2 kids separation agmt we each claim one child. He hasn't seen the kids in 3 years so doesn't meet the 6 mth requirement. Can I claim both kids?

Our agreement states we each get to claim one child however he has forfeited his visitation and the child now does not meet the 6 mth requirement, they are with me 365 days a year. I want to be able to claim both children. 

MargaretL

Yes - you can if your divorce was finalized after 2008.  For divorces finalized after 2008, divorce agreement is no longer valid for determining who can claim the child. You are considered a custodial parent if your children lived with you longer and you can claim them if they didn't provide more than half of their own support. 

MargaretL

jencollings

Is this true even if he pays child support? I was under the impression child support wasn't tax deductible. He pays based on a joint custody arrangement but hasn't seen them in 3 years. My divorce was final in 2010.
MargaretL

Yes, it is true.  Child support is never claimed as income and is never tax deductible.